Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Off the Beaten Track

"Souq, Muscat ca. 1960"     pastel     8" x 10"

My father took the photo, I sketched it today.    Always been fascinated by it - so narrative:  in the dark centre, two men looking at my father and grinning; the boy leaning against the wall with the serenest of smiles; and the orange turbanned men who are, I'm sure, the boy's uncles.  Anyway they're clearly enjoying a very amusing conversation. (And if you can't see that from above, look at photo below)

Rifles were an essential prop for the young bloods.   And the reason I suspect boy is nephew of orange turbans is that he's bullets in his belt.   The boy's wand suggests he had a camel, or a donkey or some goats around the corner.  I say camel, the BMW of Oman at that time.

I've loved this photo for 52 years and always wanted to paint or sketch it.  It's so Rembrandt!   I did it way too small thus wickedly diff to capture facial expressions, or any detail come to that.

What pleased me most?  Hard to say.   #1-I DID IT!   #2-Perhaps the boy's feet.

The Photo - a broader scene, I tightened it up in mine.

No comments: