Friday, April 18, 2014

Pangur Ban - the Library Cat ca 950 AD


To Honour Pangur Ban I illuminated a 'P'

Below a translation of the poem written by an Irish Monk in ca 950 AD.
Pangur Ban - means White Cat - was the cat who kept him company in the library
where he worked at translating and transcribing texts.
In those days cats in libraries were essential occupants:   they helped protect
the manuscripts from being eaten by mice.

Each of us pursues his trade,
I and Pangur my comrade,
His whole fancy on the hunt,
And mine for learning ardent.

More than fame I love to be
Among my books and study,
Pangur does not grudge me it,
Content with his own merit.

When ­ a heavenly time! ­ we are
In our small room together
Each of us has his own sport
And asks no greater comfort.

While he sets his round sharp eye
On the wall of my study
I turn mine, though lost its edge,
On the great wall of knowledge.

Now a mouse drops in his net
After some mighty onset
While into my bag I cram
Some difficult darksome problem.

When a mouse comes to the kill
Pangur exults, a marvel!
I have when some secret's won
My hour of exultation.

Though we work for days and years
Neither the other hinders;
Each is competent and hence
Enjoys his skill in silence.

Master of the death of mice,
He keeps in daily practice,
I too, making dark things clear,
Am of my trade a master.
 

No comments: