Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Essence of a Doodle



 "Sophie, a Golden Wheaten"      pastel         8" x 10"

A doodle by me - you can tell that from the smudges - of Sophie!    The path to the sketch began when I asked for a copy of the screensaver showing Sophie, a much loved family dog.   It came, I sketched, but who knew if it was totally on target.   I sent a photo...apologising for the roughness of the piece.  To my delight it turned out my doodle had captured the essence of Sophie - so a happy ending for me and for the original which is off to a better home than a storage portfolio.

And YES I fixed the smudged coat to be curly...but never took a foto.

I "collect" photos of critters that I may or may not work from.   I like them to come from the owner or someone who really KNOWS the animal - and of course is able to give me permission to do a portrait from the photo.   All of this with the understanding that if I do something (there's no promise I will or by when) I will email a photo of the piece to find out if it really IS the best beloved, not just "a dog" or "a cat".  There is NO obligation to purchase but if someone wishes to, contact me - prices vary and are very reasonable.  Of course, if it's a commission it gets done immediately.  

No comments: